What is a Canadian Spouse Visa?
Canada Spouse visa allows you to sponsor your spouse/ common-law partner to become a permanent resident of the country.
Getting a Canadian spouse visa is one of the fastest ways to settle in Canada as a permanent resident. The spousal sponsorship program is a sub-category under Family Sponsorship Program. This sub-category allows PR holders or Canadian citizens to sponsor their spouse’s application to become permanent residents. Fiancés are not applicable under this category. Candidates are bound to prove the legality of their marriage.
Nationwide Visas can help you reunite with your family with our dedicated Canada-dependent services.
What is the minimum requirement to become a sponsor?
For the applicant to sponsor their spouse, partner, or dependent child, they have to meet the following requirements:
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
- Must be a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a registered person in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian act.
- Must prove that they are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability.
- Must provide for the basic needs of any person who is sponsored.
Some points can make the applicant not eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner, or child and they are as follows:
- If less than 18 years old.
- In case the applicant won’t live in the country when the persons they want to sponsor become permanent residents.
- If not a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
- If the applicant is a temporary resident, as they are visiting, studying, or working in Canada on a visa or permit.
- If the applicant’s permanent resident application is still in the process.
- If the applicant does not have enough money to support the sponsored person.
The applicant will not be eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner if they:
- We’re sponsored by a spouse or partner and became permanent residents less than 5 years ago.
- They are still financially responsible for a previous spouse or partner that they sponsored. This means that they are still bound by the 3-year undertaking to take care of this person.
What are the documents required for a Canada Spouse Visa?
Following is the list of the required set of documents to apply for a Spouse Visa from India:
- Proof of a valid marriage like a Marriage Certificate.
- Must demonstrate that will live in Canada once the applicant’s spouse or common-law or conjugal partner becomes a permanent resident.
- A signed agreement that confirms that the sponsor and sponsored person understand their mutual obligations and responsibilities.
- The sponsor has to sign an undertaking agreement for providing the basic needs of their spouse or common-law partner.
- Proof of relationships like marriage certificate, frequent communication (letters, emails, and phone calls), Photos together, or Joint agreements such as lease agreement and/or bank accounts.
What is the processing time for a Canada spouse Visa?
Once the applicant has submitted their application to the foreign visa office for approval, the average processing time for the application is around 8 to 10 months.